Below is a poster I made briefly describing each of the three main steps in the process: transformation, growing the diatoms on selective agar plates, and subculturing diatom cells in selective liquid cultures.
The diatoms will only grow if they received a copy of the resistance plasmid. And well, we can tell that the diatoms don't particularly like the antibiotic we put in the growth media:
Below is the first round of pictures of cells expressing GFP. These pictures came from a single colony on an agar plate, which means I didn't transfer it to a liquid culture (i.e. it was sacrificed for science). However it does give us promise that we will have GFP-expressing lines of diatoms in the near future/ I've been working on growing up the cells in liquid cultures and hope to have something by the end of the week. After that, it's a matter of growing up larger liquid cultures before we can test some science!
|The view through the microscope. So much green!|
|This frame shows some of the variability in the intensities of fluorescence. Denser cell populations will appear brighter.|
|Some clumps of cells are larger than others.|